7.24.2008

on being vulnerable...

I've felt rather uninspired to write lately, which isn't exactly rare by any means. It's not that I don't have anything to write about. In fact, I have a stack of post-it notes and email drafts and church bulletins and lists on my PDA of many underdeveloped thoughts that have crossed my mind. Usually, my writing process is as simple as choosing one of these topics and emptying my mind of everything that comes to mind in accordance with the chosen subject matter.

But tonight, I'm free-styling it with some thoughts on vulnerability. Mostly because I've never understood how to be vulnerable well. Or maybe it's not something anyone can do well. If one of the purposes of being vulnerable is to prove that no one has life perfected, I suppose doing vulnerability well may be a paradox.

At any rate, I truly believe that a person can get to a place where they enjoy vulnerability. I know that may sound like a foreign concept to some. I've gone from being too vulnerable too quickly to not being vulnerable with anyone, and neither extremes have been enjoyable, but rather ineffective and unhealthy. 

Despite all of this, I have to believe that there is a balance that allows us to invite people into our lives to walk alongside us despite our faults, learning to celebrate in our inadequacy and asking God for the wisdom to know when to speak and when to be silent. Experiencing joy in community is more than just simply hanging out and gaining friends--it's having accountability with brothers and sisters in Christ who know us in our strengths and weaknesses.

There is risk in relationships--imperfect people are never completely safe. But it is my prayer that you and I continually strive towards a vulnerability that is not based on the feelings we gain from it, but for the encouragement and edification that comes from admitting that we are not perfect. 

1 comment:

Lyricality said...

Ams, I'm not sure how to comment... unless its just to say I concur. I love your thoughts. I wish mine would come out 1/2 as smooth as yours! thanks for your smooth thoughts! :)
Vulnerability is a hard thing to grasp. its hard to understand let alone get right. I think you cleared it up as much as it could be. carry on dear soldier of God! ;)