7.16.2008

my love

I have fallen in love.

And the object of my love is not perfect. Far from it, actually. But I claim all of my love's imperfections. In fact, my love helps me see my own imperfections, which draws us both closer to our first love--the Lord. So despite the imperfections, I continue to commit to my love, though at times I've been hurt by that which has won my affections.

It pains me when people talk about my love in ways that convey something other than respect and admiration. If my love does not have peace, joy, or justice, I desire to provide it. I will go before the throne of my Lord for my love, asking that sin not threaten that which I adore.

Ask me to give up my love, I will not. There is very little purpose in life without my love. This need comforts me, because I know that despite the hardships, my love will never leave me. I will defend my love to all, because my love has taught me humility and beauty and purity. My love has refined me.

"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace...

Therefore, I declare to you today that I am innocent of the blood of all men. For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God. Keep watch over yourselves and all the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers.
Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood. I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them...

Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified."
--Paul, in Acts 20.

No comments: