9.29.2008

Steve the Spider

Last week, I discovered that I had a spider living behind the mirror on the driver's side of my car. I didn't have time to kill it, but I planned on attacking it in the near future. Like most people, I generally don't like bugs or spiders or any creepy-crawly organism of that nature.

The Wendy's drive-thru lady noticed the web it had spun between the mirror and the car door later that afternoon. She simply reached out and destroyed the sticky threads with her bare "touches the food you eat" hands (but that's a completely different issue). I assumed it was the last I would see of the spider.

But the next morning, the spider was sitting on a newly spun web. And I left it. I don't know why, but I admired its determination. As I got in my car and drove to work, I noticed that Steve (yes, I named the spider) could hold on to his web while I was going 15 mph, then 25, then 35...I was amazed at his feats of strength!

Every now and then, his web gets destroyed. I try to prevent it from happening--for example, my car REALLY needs washed, but I just couldn't do that to Steve. Today, I was driving on the interstate. As I began to accelerate to 65 mph, I may have shouted (with people in the car...), "Steve, don't fall Steve, crawl behind the mirror!!!" He listened. Steve is really smart. And just in case you were wondering, his web is still intact despite the high rates of speed.

I suppose you could say I have a new appreciation for spiders. I'm not too sure how long Steve is going to stay, but it's kind of nice to be fascinated outside of the "let's see what this looks like when I smash it on the pavement" way by a piece of creation.

7 comments:

Renee Lewis said...

Hahaha... I'm sorry I missed this tonight! I'll be praying for Steve.

Lyricality said...

I admire your kindness towards a less fortunate creation of God. less fortunate meaning he has no food, wait, bugs. no home, wait, your car. and no friends, wait, us. so basically you are just like Steve. holding on when the world goes fast!

Amy said...

so profound Julie...i'm speechless.

Anonymous said...

There's a spider that lives on the ceiling of my parking garage and it's massive. It commands all of the other lesser spiders in the parking garage and they all do its bidding. I named the think Big Edna, and it's always there in the same spot, on it's massive web with it's massive butt just hangin out and lookin all poisonous...

You might wanna move Steve to a tree or something, but that's just at thought.

Also, there are far too many spiders in Washington. I'm pretty sure Big Edna has something to do with this fact. It's been my intention to create a peace treaty between my kind and Big Edna's so that when the day of judgment comes, I may be spared their eight-legged wrath.

Unknown said...

Hey. This is really funny. You made me laugh tonight.
Love you MOM

Devin Maureen said...

wow I donno how I missed this... I'll have to ask ya how he's doing when you get home =]

Ali said...

This is the best thing I have read all week. Oh, Steve.