6.04.2008

it's a trend...

People always try to claim that they aren't trendy. The thing is, it's trendy "not to be trendy." It's kind of like the people who try to convince you that they "aren't addicted" to smoking and that they could quit anytime...the more they attempt to defend themselves, the less likely you are to believe them. I once was a person that claimed not to like "trendy" things, until I realized I was being trendy in the process...which then just made me lame. So now, I embrace my trendiness.

The radio is a great way to learn what's trendy. It's trendy to talk about how high the gas prices are. And it's beneficial to know what's trendy to talk about, just in case you get stuck with nothing to say in a conversation. Because noise is trendier than silence in our society, you'll be better off talking about the trendy topic compared to the awkwardness of talking about nothing.

Listening to the radio is trendy too. And I hate it (the radio, not the fact that listening to it is trendy), but still I listen to it. Since I only live exactly 2.1 miles away from where I work, I rarely ever take the time to listen to my ipod or a CD. I'm not complaining--with the price of gas the way it is (here I go being trendy...), I consider myself fortunate to save money on the commute to work. Maybe I should buy a bike...then I would fit in with all those trendy environmentalist that talk about how "green is the new black"...someone should inform them that this is a rather trendy phrase.

Remember when listening to the radio was cool? One day in 6th grade, I arrived at school in the morning, and everyone was talking about how the local radio station was off the air the night before like it was the most monumental event in the history of the world. Up until this point in my life, I had never really dedicated much time to listening to the radio (except when my dad would listen to the oldies station in the car); but after "the day in which I had nothing to add to the conversation about WBNQ's radio blackout", you can bet I listened to the radio every day for the rest of my junior high career. I even called in to request songs.

But in your 20s, people start claiming that they never listen to the radio. Which is probably a trendy claim to make. It confuses me though, especially when I go to sporting events and a song like "Hot in Herre" (made popular in the summer of 2002 by Nelly) comes on, and everyone knows the words. Now I know they don't own the CD (or maybe they do...which is a whole other issue). How are they singing along? I think more people listen to the radio than they like to admit.

But just remember...I don't like watching Oprah and I don't own any clothes from Abercrombie & Fitch and I don't use any instant messaging programs and I don't drink Starbucks coffee. but i may occasionally write with no capitals and excessively use ellipses...and have a guitar...sitting in the corner...of my room...even though i rarely play it...

No comments: